Friday, April 4, 2014

7 Quick Takes:Cleaning Out

Happy Friday morning to you all!!  So far my little guy is sleeping in so I am going to attempt to get as many of my quick takes typed out before that little bundle of energy wakes up! I am on my 2nd cup of uninterrupted coffee and feeling fine!

***1***

The biggest news around these parts is that after 4 months of sleeping anywhere but his crib, our sweet boy has finally taken the plunge!  Last week after watching him grow more dependent on me for sleep I knew he was ready for his crib.  We put him in for the first time on Sunday night and he did fantastic!!  Hardly put up any kind of fuss!!  He still struggles sleeping in there from time to time during naps, and last night was a doozy falling asleep for him, but overall I would say it was a success!! I am so excited!!  It's been an adjustment for me not having him in our room, but I have also enjoyed having our room back to ourselves.  Not having to tiptoe around and being able to put on pjs with a light on have been glorious....that is on days that I wasn't in my pjs for the entire day. ;)  Anyways, GO NOAH!! Now if I can just get him to sleep for longer stretches...

***2***

The second biggest thing that has happened around these parts is after being inspired by my sister-in-law who gave up all artificial sweeteners and is feeling great and losing weight, I chose to do the same.  That means good-bye $1 Diet Cokes from McDonalds and anywhere else.  I have to say I feel better despite major craves for my beloved carbonated drink.  I have known for a long time that I should stop drinking diet pop and get aspartame out of my system, but never took the plunge, well after slowly working that way I finally did it!  I know that my body is better because of it.  I am really focusing on eating clean-er and making better choices for me and my family.  I look at Noah and know that I need to make these changes now so that when he starts with foods he will see a good example in Tom and I.  Chemical free is the way to be! 

***3***

In an effort to eat clean-er, I've joined the smoothie train! This week I made my first smoothie that had both spinach and kale in it...along with peaches, almond milk, and yogurt.  It was yummy and satisfying! I am looking forward to trying different recipes and exploring the world of smoothies.  Kudos again to my sister-in-law!!

***4***

Yesterday, I did an unofficial weighing of Noah by getting on the scale holding him, then putting him down and subtracting the difference!  Let's not talk about my weight....BUT Noah unofficially comes in at a whopping 11 lbs!!!!  Our little preemie is growing up! I can't wait to see his official weight in a few weeks at his well visit! It's so fun watching Noah start to learn and explore.  We are working on rolling over and holding things.  He is so alert and much more engaged.  He sits up in his chair for longer periods of time each day!

***5***

OK, so do you watch The Blacklist?  If you don't, you should! OMgoodness!!  It is so good and it keeps me on the edge of my seat each week.  It's one of the reasons I am so glad that when we cancelled our cable (which we don't miss at all by the way...) I am glad we got Hulu+.  Rarely can I finish a show that starts at 10pm, so I love catching up on my 2 favorite shows, The Blacklist and Parenthood, on Hulu.  Great investment!  We also have started watching the first season of Scandal on Netflix.  So good!!!!

***6***

After 6 months, a few heart to heart conversations with a few good friends, and a lot of prayer I decided this week to put away the pump for good.  It was a really hard decision for me.  Anyone who has exclusively pumped can relate that being chained to that pump multiple times a day is so very frustrating and stressful.  Well after cutting back already, I recognized that it was getting harder and harder for me to keep up with the pumping while taking care of Noah and my daily chores.  So this week I weaned myself off.  I am 100% relieved and about 50% guilty at the same time.  Thankfully, we have a nice stash of frozen breast milk to last us for a while supplementing with formula.  I am thankful that modern society has an option to help me feed my son, while still alleviating my stress level.  I feel judgment and sympathy from both sides of the fence, but in the end I decided to do what was best for my son and myself. I am thankful for the many months I was able to give Noah this gift and that I have enough frozen to go a bit longer.  I am also thankful for the extra time and effort I can put towards his life by being able to play with him and devote more time to him.  But oh the mommy guilt....

***7***

Did you see what I painted this week??  I love Painting with a Twist! My new favorite mommy outing!



***7.5***

I just have to tell you that my husband is a rock star! For so, so many reasons...anyways, today I am thankful that God chose Tom to be my husband.  He is such a blessing to both Noah and I.  I love you, Tom.  xo

1 comment:

  1. Two things. I REALLY want to do painting with a twist with you guys sometime.
    Second. Everyone keeps telling us to watch the blacklist- maybe we will give it a spin this weekend. Now that The Walking Dead is over (you should totally start watching the walking dead) we are going to need something to occupy ourselves!

    ReplyDelete