Friday, March 28, 2014

7 Quick Takes:March Madness

I suppose around these parts when you read the words "March Madness" you may assume that I am going to be writing about basketball, but I haven't watched one game of basketball...maybe ever, so really the madness in March I am speaking of is the life to life stuff.

***1***

Speaking of madness however, did you read or see about Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin's "conscious uncoupling?" First of all what the hell is a "conscious uncoupling?" Is this the same as "He would should not be named" from Harry Potter equivalent to the big "D" word?  Anyways, they are splitting up.  Call it what you will, but what really irked me about this is that Gwyneth went on to say on her website goop.com website that it's no longer possible for marriages to last 30-40 years because we are all living too much.  She even brought "experts" to back this up!  WHAT?!?!  Sorry Gwyneth.  Some of us still live with the notion that we are married for life.  And guess what else? Marriage is hard.  Like really stinking hard some days, but there are still those of us who are willing to fight like hell to make sure we are married 30, 40, or even 50 years!  When we took those vows we meant them.  Now I understand there are cases where divorce is necessary and I am not judging those who have had to go down that road, but don't dog those of us who have decided to try for that 50 year mark and beyond.  Just cause you couldn't do it Gwyneth, doesn't mean the rest of us can't!

Do you want to read another really asinine article about dear Gwyneth?  Read this article. It will be sure to tick off all you hard working mamas out there!

***2***

Well, March came in like a lion and went out like a....Lion.  But there is some hope!  Today when we woke it was 50 degrees outside! Ok it was windy and cloudy, but it was 50! Noah and I got out for a quick walk before it started raining.  There are some more sunny days in the 50s on the way...maybe April will be nicer to us?  Maybe we can skip the whole April showers, brings May flowers thing this year....didn't we get enough snow to make up for it?  One can hope....

***3***

Speaking of walks, I am excited to say that Noah and I have made it out for a walk twice this week so far.  I am hoping we can get out on Sunday too.  Wednesday we had to walk inside at our favorite museum and today we took a nice walk around the neighborhood.  I cannot tell you how much better I feel when I get out there and exercise.  It clears my head, encourages me to eat better, and just encourages me in this great life long weight loss battle.  Noah loves going for walks too! He is so alert these days and loves to look around at the sights....though he usually zonks out half way through.  Anyways, I am hoping this will be a great part of our daily routine and I can say that I am a little healthier and possibly lose some weight too by the end of summer.  Just have to survive all those BBQs!

***4***

When I was pregnant with Noah I was out with my friend Katie shopping for PJs for their daughter.  Her husband had complained that he wanted PJs for her that weren't snap ups because they were such a pain in the middle of the night.  I've gotta be honest...I thought he was being a little ridiculous (sorry Danny), but open mouth insert foot!  Who the heck decided that infant PJs should be snap up?  They are such a pain in the middle of the night and the beginning of the day and all the times in between there.  So as I buy the next size up I have been searching for zip up only PJs.  They are a dime a dozen people!  Maybe I should create a new line of infant PJs with zippers.  Surely there are other parents out there who would applaud my efforts.  Rant over.

***5***

Well, after reviewing our finances, looking at our current lifestyle, and exploring areas closer to Tom's work we have decided that the Bauers will hopefully be moving out to Ann Arbor next spring.  We have a lot of work to do in the next year, but are excited and energized every time we are out in that area.  Being closer to Tom's work, my parents when they are here in the summer, and near our new church will all be blessings to our little family.  It's hard not to pack up and just move right now, but we know the responsible thing is to get all of our ducks in order first. 

I do have to say however it's kind of bittersweet.  Our current home is in the city we both grew up in.  It's home to us and always will  be.  But just like everything else in life it's changed over the years and it's time for us to move to a place that better suits our family's needs.  Luckily we are only about 35 minutes away and will look forward to coming home to visit friends and family.

Next up...we need to bring our realtor in to tell us what we should and shouldn't do to get this house ready to be put on the market next year.  We need to get the most bang for our buck. 

***6***

I have recently discovered  Trader Joe's!  I have to say, I love Trader Joe's.  I get what all the hype is about.  And just as I have discovered this little gem they decide to close down I-96 for like a whole year.  Ugh...but guess where else there is a Trader Joe's??   That's right...Ann Arbor! I think we will have to check that one out one week after church.

***7***

I shouldn't have to justify my decisions we make as a family to the world, but I keep thinking about this so I wanted to explain something to all of my readers, especially my pro-life friends out there.  Tom and I recently made the decision to participate in the March of Dimes walk to help fund research and technology to help save preemie babies.  My dear friend, who happens to be Noah's godmother, was promoting our walk and was questioned about our decision to support this group because the March of Dimes donates money to Planned Parenthood.  I felt bad that I put my friend in this situation, especially because her and I had a whole conversation about this issue and I really thought and prayed about this.  And here's the thing...does it bum me out as a pro-life mother of 2 preemies that March of Dimes gives money to Planned Parenthood?  Yes.  No doubt.  But then I started to think about what being pro-life means to me and the thought that came to me was this...The March of Dimes does a lot more for the pro-life movement than they do against it.  Being pro-life isn't just about being anti-abortion.  And it's with that thought that we decided to join the walk.  Because I've gotta be honest...it's one of the only organizations out there fighting against prematurity and when I look at my miracle of a baby and think about his brother in heaven I am thankful there are people like them out there fighting for my boys.  My 23 gestational week old little boy lived for 4 days.  It's kind of crazy when you think about it?  I got 4 days with my baby boy because of advances made in technology.  My 27 weeker is sitting in his swing right now.  He coos, smiles, spits up, and cries because of advances made to save preemies like him.  I can be a mother here on this earth because of people at March of Dimes.  Maybe that makes me a bad pro-lifer...maybe it makes me a bad Catholic even, but if my money and effort can go towards helping another mother being able to bring her baby home instead of planning a funeral for her baby then I would say I am living out what it means to be prolife. 



In saying all of that...if you would like to join us in our walk please see the link below. 

http://www.marchforbabies.org/personal_page.asp?pp=1267400&ct=4&w=6365599&u=ssruskin

No comments:

Post a Comment