Friday, August 30, 2013

7 Quick Takes: Week 23

Well the dreaded Week 23 of this pregnancy has not disappointed with a roller coaster of emotions.  We are trying to weather this storm with faith and grace, but some days sure are easier than others.  Anyways...here we go with this week's quick takes.

***1***

Last week we were bummed to discover that I unfortunately have gestational diabetes.  :(  Luckily, so far I am able to manage it just by changing my diet.  Well, the first few days were pretty rough.  I had no clue of just how many carbs I ate in a day.  I really am not a big sweet eater, but the little snacky items I consume in a day are just filled with carbs!  Fruit, crackers, meal choices! Carbs, carbs, carbs!On top of it all, I was STARVING!!  Ravenous even...but I was afraid to eat anything wrong that would mess with my blood sugars. Anyways, after talking to some ladies who have been down this road before I have figured out some better meal choices and I am starting to figure out better choices for eating.  I also barely flinch now when I have to poke my finger 4 times a day!  Once again I say Motherhood is not for the weak!

***2***

Finally, we have reaped the fruits of our labor and our tomatoes have started to ripen.  I love fresh tomatoes from the garden. And, I can eat as many of them as I want!! (I think...I better double check that...) :) Score!!

***3***

Being a short haired woman, I go to the beauty salon (and by beauty salon I mean Great Clips) every 4-6 weeks.  Well, I have been on bed rest since June 16...seriously since July 15th, and well let's just say my hair is feeling the pain.  My husband, in true guy style, is grateful it's getting longer, but it is seriously driving me crazy! I have had short hair most of my life so I don't even know what to do when it gets longer.  I have become very creative with headbands and barrettes.  They compliment my constant bed head nicely.  Maybe I will be like the hockey players that don't shave their beards until they win the Stanley Cup Finals!  Let's see just how horrible (and long) my hair can look when I deliver my son.  I guess that's one way to avoid the camera!  Thankfully, I don't go out in public too often these days.

***4***

Fall is my absolute favorite time of year and spending a lot of time on Pinterest these days has really made me want to get all of my fall décor out and decorate our home.  I love pumpkins and apples and all the fun stuff that is fall! I am making myself wait until after Labor Day, which thankfully is just a few days away, but I think it is really going to lift my spirits to have some new fall decorations to look at.  My mom did humor me and put up a couple of things and bought me a mum to look at. 

I also have seen about 100 pumpkin recipes I'd like to try.  If pumpkin fudge and crumble cake are made with a can of real pumpkin that practically makes the dish a vegetable, right? And therefore I can eat them with ease? That's my story and I'm sticking to it....

***5***

Many of the women at our church have started delivering meals to us twice a week which has truly been a God send.  Tom often leaves the house at 8am and doesn't get home until 7 most days.  So it's been a challenge with dinners a lot of days.  We are trying our best to not eat out constantly and maintain somewhat healthy eating (especially since this past week) so that Noah is healthy and mama doesn't gain too much weight.  (So far it's under 10 lbs and with my new diet I think I may have lost another couple pounds) Anyways, back to my point.  These angels I call my friends have truly blessed us.  Dinner arrives made for us and Tom is able to scoop it out when he gets home and we have a nice healthy, hot meal to eat.  There are always leftovers too which works for us.  In fact, my refrigerator is quite full these days.  Yesterday, after our meal was delivered, with my diabetes in mind, I really stopped to thank God for these women.  Many of them have jobs, families, and aren't millionaires and yet they sacrifice time and money to bless us during this time.  I look forward to the day that I can repay them.  For now, I hope all these angels know just how blessed we feel and that their kind deeds do not go unnoticed or under appreciated.

***6***

In just 2 days...I can't believe it...2 days...I will be at our first major goal of 24 weeks!  At that point my little guy has a 50/50 chance of survival! I honestly thought some days I would never make it to this point.  This weekend I will make another trip to the hospital to get some steroids for his lungs to help boost their growth just in case things were to go sour.  This will put my mind at ease.  After that our next long term goal is 28 weeks!  So starting Sunday we will be putting up a countdown...28 days until 28 weeks!!  I can't wait to rip off a piece of paper each day as we get closer to this next goal!  We are believing God that we will make it there.  We are so thankful once again for all of you that have joined us in prayer and faith believing that there will be a good outcome to this story!

***7***

It's Labor Day weekend and it's always a sad time of year for me.  Soon, my mom and dad will be heading back to their winter home in Florida.  My mom is thankfully sticking around a little while longer though because she wanted to throw me a baby shower before she left. So thankfully I have a few more weeks with her, but my daddy-o leaves on the 9th and that stinks! :( Sometimes it's hard being the daughter of snow birds.  Yes, we have a great vacation place to visit, and yes, they will be back shortly for the birth of their grandson and the holidays, but it still stinks. 

Well folks, Happy Labor Day weekend to you all! I hope you all enjoy this last weekend of summer surrounded by those you love the best! The hubster and I will be....our favorite friends at Oakwood Hospital.  ;)  But we hope to sneak in some fun too!  Just this morning we had a competition to see who could type out the Our Father the fastest with the fewest errors.  Don't tell me that's not fun!?!?

Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment