Tuesday, December 31, 2013

7 Quick Takes: The NYE edition

Ok, so it's Tuesday and Quick Takes are for Fridays, but Noah is sleeping, I have no motivation to get off the couch today, and I have been wanting to blog for weeks now....so we are going to go with it! Can you believe 2013 is coming to an end in just a few short hours? Wow! What a year it's been! I have written more than enough about the year we have had, and so I won't go there in this post, but let's just say we are looking forward to a calmer, less hospital visits, 2014! Please know of our prayers for you and your family as we approach the New Year!

***1***

Yesterday morning we said good bye to my parents after a 2.5 week visit from them.  I have to admit having house guests for that long, even if you love them dearly, is a challenge for both the hosts and the guests, but we did pretty well! My parents were such a blessing to Tom and I.  My mom took a few 1am feedings allowing Tom and I to catch up on some sleep.  We enjoyed watching Noah bond with his grandparents and make his first Christmas memories! Papa even donned a Santa Claus outfit so that Noah could have his first picture with Santa.  It was a special Christmas indeed. 
I have to say though, I cried like a baby when my parents left this time.  My mom is usually the crier in our family, but this time we both cried.  It's hard having snowbirds for parents.  It's harder now that we have Noah and we miss having Nana and Papa around.  I think you realize just how badly you need your parents when you become a parent yourself. 
 
 
 
***2***
 
Well, I guess I should publicly declare what my New Year's Resolutions are for 2014.  I know most will fail or give up, but I think it's important to have a goal or strive always to be better.  So here's what I am working on.  Getting back to Weight Watchers! I am thankful my good friend is taking the plunge with me so that we can support each other. Tom and I are also looking for a gym to join where we can both work on getting healthier. I also want to continue to work on my cleaning and organizing around these parts.  I am learning how to do that now that we have a new addition to the household that complicates things a bit (I probably should be cleaning now instead of blogging).  I love that our house has come so far and I don't want to let that slip.  Another goal I have is to start listening to Christian music again more regularly.  Kind of under the whole mindset of "garbage in, garbage out."  There is a new Contemporary Christian station in the Detroit area. 106.3 is finally home to KLove.  (Sorry, WMUZ...you suck.)  I have enjoyed listening to the songs and adding a few new songs to my repertoire. 
 
 
***3***
 
Speaking of things that should be on my NY Resolution list...how about my obsession with Diet Coke?  And not just any Diet Coke, but fountain Diet Coke.  Like in ginormous amounts.  I seriously need a 12 step program.  I told my Weight Watcher buddy that I was going to give up pop for a week so I could increase my water intake.  I went out to lunch and drank THREE large Diet Cokes!  I have no will power when it comes to my favorite carbonated drink. 
 
***4***
 
"Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."  "I am rubber, you are glue.  Whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you."   Whoever made up these silly children's rhymes didn't clearly understand the power of words.  In recent months, there have been some comments made to me both on Facebook and in person that have hurt me to the core.  Especially when they come from people you care deeply about.  I have been hurt so much that I have considered getting off Facebook, something that is not a surprise to anyone that I really enjoy.  What is most hurtful, however, is most of these comments are said with an "LOL" attached or in a joking manner.  So as if to say I can't be hurt because the person was just joking.  But even if someone is just joking, or thinks that if you put it a "LOL" with it then it's not a big deal, it IS a BIG deal.  To me at least.  So from my hurt I am really learning to think about what I say and how I say it.  Words hurt.  None of us are rubber.  In fact, sometimes those words leave a bruise bigger than we get from being slapped or hit.  I am sarcastic as all get out and sometimes my "humor" can be misconstrued.  I am working on that though because I never want to hurt people with my words, the way others words have hurt me.  My mom always said, "Once something comes out of your mouth you can never take it back, so choose your words wisely."  It's time for all of us to heed a little of momma's advice.
 
 
***5***
Noah has been home 5
 
weeks now! I can't believe it!  Tom and I are adjusting to parenthood as well as any parents of newborns adjust to parenthood.  There are ups and downs for sure.  I don't think anyone can prepare you for the sleep deprivation you will experience as a parent of a newborn.  We have learned what Noah's different cries mean (for the most part), we are experts now at diaper changes and bath time, and we have learned how to do a lot of things one handed. ;) I have to say though, with confidence, that as rewarding as being a parent is, it is by far the HARDEST undertaking we have ever encountered.  Parenting tests your physical, mental, and emotional strength all at the same time. I really thought with all my experience with babysitting and teaching I was more than prepared for motherhood, but nothing can prepare you.  I don't write this to whine, I write this as an admission.  Like I said, it's all worth it.  When that little crying bundle lays his head on my chest after I pick him up or flashes me a smile (Ok, it might be gas, but I will call it a smile...), or when I watch that sweet thing nap in his swing....I feel like the luckiest lady in the world.  But the multi tasking, late night feedings, and crying spells test me to the fullest if I am being honest.  But the good outweighs the bad and I wouldn't trade any of it for the world....ok...maybe the 4 am feeding.,...:)
 
 
 
 
***6***
 
On the humorous side of motherhood...lessons my son has taught me in 5 short weeks...

 
 
*It doesn't matter how many pacifiers we have...when we need one there isn't one to be found in the nearest arm reach except for the one laying in the middle of the floor dirty with cat hair.
 
*Poop is a big deal.  Especially when our little guy doesn't go for a few diapers.  Poop is brought up in our house at least 3 times daily between Tom and I.
 
*That thing about little boys liking to pee the second their diaper comes off.  100% true.  Pooping is also optional.  The bath tub is also a popular peeing spot.
 
*It doesn't matter if I am holding a burp cloth or not, I will be puked on at least once a day.  Spoiled milk is my new perfume.
 
*The odds of my sleeping child waking increase greatly the second I decide to do the dishes, write a blog, or finally decide to take a shower.
*To all of you moms daily sporting yoga pants, or hell even pajamas...I am sorry I judged you.  I get it now.
 
* Socks on newborns is the biggest joke out there.
 
*Little babies can still make really BIG sounds (and vibrations for that matter)
 
*Second biggest joke...hot coffee.  Not going to happen.
 
*You will make up the stupidest song ever just to attempt to calm your crying baby.  Secondly, half of the kids song you sang as a kid, you forget the words to as an adult.  Improvise, improvise, improvise.  (Though if you looked at Tom's google history, most searches would be lyrics to said songs.)
 
***7***
 
Tonight is New Year's Eve!  Our little family will be celebrating from the comfort of our home.  In fact, I hope to be sleeping as the ball drops because at 3 am someone will be hungry and mama needs her sleep.  So from our house to yours....Happy New Year!! May God's blessings be on you and those you love this year!
 
 

  

1 comment:

  1. Oh Erin! I cannot believe Noah has been home for five weeks. No joke, like, I honestly can't believe it. What a lucky dude he is to have you as a mom. Interesting about sticks and stones huh? I hope and pray I have never said anything to hurt you. It's funny, I got a whipper snapper mouth on me and sometimes take things too far. I have been thinking about some of this and even referenced it in my quick takes. People's words can be brutal sometimes...
    In the new year we MUST get together with our children.

    ReplyDelete