Friday, August 14, 2015

7 Quick Takes...Letting My Thoughts Go Public Again

So blogging is something I love, but 7.5 months ago I gave birth to a little boy who hates sleep and therefore most of my free time during the day has been trying to squeeze in a nap to make up for the night.  But blogging is something I love, something that excites me.  So I'm going to try and get back in the saddle and at least get my 7 quick takes out each week.

Welcome back friends.....

***1***

So last Friday a small miracle occurred in my life as a mother and wife.  My parents took my boys out to their house and my husband met them out there, which meant for roughly 24 hours I was completely on my own.  It was so glorious and yet so weird...mostly glorious.  I started off the day with a pedicure and a haircut, both desperately needed.  Then after shopping solo at Target I rushed home to get ready for my date! My friend Cheryl and I went out to dinner at my favorite Mexican restaurant and then headed to Plymouth to make some pottery.  It was so fun!  The following morning I attended a brunch for the local "Blessed is She" group and was blessed to listen to my dear friend Mary speak.  24 hours....24 wonderful hours....

You know what was really lovely too about those hours?  Besides sleeping all night??? I got to spend time with some of the awesome women in my life.  I don't know about the rest of you, but having 2 kids under the age of 2, has meant some strain on my friend relationships.  It's hard to get together and keep in touch, especially outside of play dates and Facebook.  It was so lovely to share our stories, frustrations, a drink or two, and be vulnerable with each other.

Gosh, I don't know about you, but I need my friends.  So. Much. So. So. Much.  It's hard to make the time when you're exhausted at the end of the day and you don't really feel like talking to anyone, but I am committed to making time with my friends more of a priority in my life.


***2***

I could never live somewhere that didn't have the 4 seasons.  I'm always ready for the next season.  It's August 14th and I am really starting to get ready for fall.  Like tempted to put up my pumpkins and buy some candy corn....but I'll wait.  (Especially since it's going to be 90 all week.)

***3***

On Thursday our little Jonah will go for allergy testing.  After an extremely scary and strong reaction to peanut butter 5 weeks ago we will be finding out if he is not only allergic to peanuts, but also any other nuts.  We are going to have the doctor test for milk because he seems to be having issues with milk and while we are at it, eggs.  The world of anaphylactic allergies is scary.  Even though I am a epi pen carrying girl myself due to shell fish, it's a whole nother issue when it's your kid.  Especially a little guy who picks up everything off the ground and doesn't yet know what peanuts or peanut butter are.  Not to mention his brother doesn't either.  And it's amazing just how many things have nuts or are made in a factory where it's possible that nuts have contaminated the product.  Because I am breastfeeding still, I too have had to cut out all nuts from my diet.

I always thought the peanut free school or peanut free lunch table was a little extreme, but I went to Funtastic play center in Woodhaven last week and was so relieved that they were a peanut free facility and I didn't have to worry that when Jonah crawled around he wasn't going to accidentally come into contact with peanut butter that I now get it.  These allergies are scary and baffling and no one quite knows why it's such an issue.  I'm certain we will learn lots more with this journey and we pray that he will be one of the lucky ones that grow out of it.

***4***

For the past 33 days I have been reading a devotional called "33 Days to Morning Glory."  It's a preparation for a consecration to Christ through Mary.  Ever since I have become a mother Mary has been my go to.  I still obviously prayed to God, but going to Christ through Mary has felt much more comfortable to me.  Mary being a wife, mother, and woman feels so relateable to me.  Since becoming a mother, however, my prayer life has taken a dive into the tank.  Yes, I know my life is my prayer and taking care of my family can be a prayer, but I really needed to get some sort of prayer life back on track.  One of the ladies from my "Blessed is She" group (did I mention you really need to check out this group if you are looking for an awesome online support group of wonderful Catholic women...) invited us to pray this prayer with her over the next 33 days.  It is just what I needed.  It has reignited my spiritual fire and brought me even closer to Mary with a greater understanding of her intercession and ability to draw us closer to Christ.  Tomorrow I will head to mass and make my consecration to Christ through Mary.  I can't help but be a little bit excited and look forward to the fruit of this time in my life.  If you've never heard of this book and are looking to make the consecration I really encourage you to take the plunge! It has been such a blessing to the entire group of us.

***5***

Tonight Noah, our almost 2 year old who was born at 27 weeks, took about 10 steps across the kitchen unassisted!!!!  Woot woo!!  Our little fighter is almost there!! Soon he'll be running all over the place...I can just feel it.


***6***

Today I bought this picture from a friend's garage sale.  She had posted it on Facebook and it brought tears to my eyes and took my breath away.  Most of you know that we have a son in heaven after he was born much too early and lived only 4 days here on this earth.  I always imagine Jackson is looking out for his brothers here on earth and is their special angel.  I often tell the boys to tell Jackson "hi" in their dreams and love thinking about them meeting there.  I gotta be honest though, as lovely and special as this picture will be for me, it made me miss my son terribly.  I wish my 3 boys could all play together.  I wish we all had the pleasure of knowing Jackson beyond the NICU covered in tubes and attached to machines.  I still grieve the life that was robbed from me and wonder what my little 2.5 year old would be up to.  What he would look like and what kind of temperament he would have.  Would he love trains like his brother?  What would be his favorite books and foods to eat?  It grieves my heart and brings me back to those moments when we had to say good bye not only to our son, but also the dreams we had for his life.  So for today I'll let myself miss my sweet little boy and I'll be grateful when I pass by this picture knowing that a little glimpse of my oldest son still lives on in our home.


***7***

Weekends with my family are my favorite! We have a lot to get done around these parts this weekend, but it's always funny making memories out of the little things.

That's my sign off for the rest of you...go make the little moments count this week!



No comments:

Post a Comment