Friday, March 27, 2015

7 Quick Takes:Grouch from the Couch

It's Friday...and this week it feels like I am crawling into home plate versus sliding in with glee.  It's been a long week....a trying week, with moments of joy thrown in there.  So let me explain further...

***1***

So somehow this coming Sunday is Palm Sunday and the start to Holy Week.  I've gotta tell you that once again I'm pretty sure if God were giving grades out for our Lenten sacrifices and prayers I would most certainly get a D.  (It would be an F except we did go to Mass each week so I can't fall under the total failure department....just really, really close.) Anyways, well Holy Week starts in a few days and I love Holy Week.  So today I was thinking about the upcoming services and I realized that my children nap or sleep during most of them.  Not to mention a 2.5 hour service with a toddler might be enough torture to bring my almost failing grade up to at least a C.

So tell me....what do those of you out there with toddlers do for Holy Week?  Do you tough it out? Do you do something special at home?  Go for bits and pieces? Divide and conquer with your spouse??  At this point I think we may make the Living Stations on Good Friday and Easter Sunday Mass, but otherwise I don't see the rest working out.  And I gotta be honest, although this is my reality for a short season, I'm pretty bummed out.

***2***

So this great thing has started happening this week.  Noah has started to "play" with Jonah.  He goes up to him and laughs (ok and pulls his pacifier out) and hugs on his brother.  It's gotta be the cutest thing out there.  I love watching them interact.  Jonah loves Noah too and often stops fussing when he comes around.  He likes to watch him.  It gives me hope for lots of fun as brothers in the future.  My prayer is that they'll always be best buddies.  So far, so good....

***3***

So in just a few days our Jonah will be hitting the 3 month mark.  In my eyes this means it's time for a schedule and to begin getting ready for his own crib.  The thing is our little guy doesn't care for his crib so much and he's still waking up way too much in the middle of the night for me to be trudging up and down the stairs to feed him.  So we are going to start by getting him on a schedule where he eats more, less often.  Right now he wants to eat roughly every 1.5 hours and for some of you mamas out there, that's no big deal, but for this mama chasing a toddler it is.  And the middle of the night stuff....gotta go! Yeah, I'm over the newborn stage.  Anyways, wish me luck. 

Oh and can I be blunt...please don't tell me it's better to feed on demand...even if it is...because at this moment I don't care.  (If I'm being honest....)

***4***

It's snowing.  It's March 27 and it's snowing outside.  I am boycotting by wearing capri leggings inside.  Take that winter!

***5***

I keep thinking I should take my boys for the obligatory shot with the Easter Bunny.  I kind of think the bunny is stupid and most of them are a little creepy, I mean who is in that costume?? At least Santas are cute little old men with white fluffy beards.  So anyways, anyone know where a non creepy Easter Bunny is hanging out that we can sit with?

***6***

When I get some time I'm gonna write more on this topic, but I've been really thinking about the danger in comparison when it comes to the moms in my life.  I've caught myself and listened to others lately comparing and more importantly stating our failures when it comes to what others are doing as moms.  (I'm not sure that sentence makes sense.) Anyways, I've started to notice that when I start to compare things like "Their kid is walking and mine isn't" or "Wow, look how pulled together she is and I have my kids snot on my leg and puke on my shirt." or "Her husband is a gem, they never seem to disagree." It starts to get very dangerous inside my head.  I'm almost 36 years old and those middle feelings of insecurity creep back in.  Like I said, I have a full blog post about this topic going on in my head and if I ever have more than 30 minutes to myself, minus a shower, I might actually get it out there.

***7***

I am so excited about spring and summer!!  We've got our zoo and Village passes ready and can't wait to hit up the neighborhood parks and local splash pads!!  Not to mention so garage sale signs will be popping up all over town!!! I've got my sneakers ready and my change purse too!  Jonah is going to learn to nap on the fly and Noah is gonna learn how to walk!  Spring is springing and hope is all around!

So tell me my local peeps...what's your favorite summer hidden gem? What are the best toddler friendly parks in the area?  Oh and who wants a play date?



So that's that for another week....for those of you participating in Holy Week I pray that it's a week of falling deeper in love with the King of Kings and that you experience the glory and excitement of His Resurrection come Easter Morning. 

I'm off to brew a mug of decaf and relish in the peace and quiet until one of these sleeping angels rises from their naps....

1 comment:

  1. Ok, so first and foremost - comparison is death of joy and mission...and I fall into that trap ALL THE TIME! I always remember Jesus' words to Peter, though...What is it to you what I ask of him? What's it matter what that person is doing for me, when you're ignoring what I have asked you. God isn't asking us to have it together, just to keep showing up, even if it is on our knees covered in muck. Just solidifies our need for a Savior all the more. :) Know you're not alone!

    Tim's on a retreat Th-Sat, so we are gonna be homebodies for Holy Week. If spring cooperates, I want to do an outdoor children's stations walk with the kids Friday morning. I'm pretty much counting on that NOT happening and being okay with it. I'm just ready for Easter.

    Oh, and I have on a tanktop and flip flops. Snow will not win!!! (Until I go outside, because brrr...)

    Ok, that's a novel. I'm done. Except to say I love you and miss you. We should live closer together. That is all. For real. :)

    ReplyDelete