Friday, May 3, 2013

7 Friday Quick Takes: Take 11


 
 

Happy Friday!! And what a glorious Friday in Michigan it is!!  Well, we didn't think it was going to happen, but spring has finally sprung!!  Yay! The last few days have been beautiful and I have enjoyed some time outside soaking up some vitamin D and fresh air!  Today I find myself in a wonderful mood and hope to spread a little joy to each of you.

Let's go!

***1***

As most of you know during Lent Catholics give up meat.  Many of you know that in the old days, Catholics gave up meat EVERY Friday.  Well, Tom and I decided that we liked making that weekly sacrifice and therefore have given up meat on Fridays forever.  It's a nice little (it really isn't super difficult) challenge for us and we are thankful to be able to make a little sacrifice for the Lord each week as a family.  It's also fun to come up with creative meatless meals to make each week since I am allergic to fish.  So far, so good.....

***2***

Recently, on my beloved Netflix, I began watching the show "Brothers and Sisters."  I LOVE it!!  I guess I heard people talking about it while it was actually airing, but never tuned in.  Well say no more...I have decided to embrace it!  It seems that is the way for me.  I am always a little behind the in crowd.  Songs people have loved forever, I suddenly discover.  TV shows everyone watches, I don't start until they have been off the air for 2 years.  Oh well, I guess the moral of this story is better late than never.

***3***

When I was a kid my mom often did her cleaning and picking up in her pj's.  I have since picked up this same habit.  When I am putzing around the house or cleaning up I often just stay in my pj's.  I should probably shower and get ready after I scoot my hubby out the door, but I don't.  And that's ok, except, I am routinely embarrassed when I am caught in my pj's at unacceptable times (if there is such a thing.)  My mail lady must think I am the laziest woman around.  My neighbors have come to the door and busted me on more than one occasion.  It's pretty embarrassing to me...and yet do I change?  Not usually.  Oh well, I guess I give them something to talk about....


***4***

I am a lot of things....but one thing I am not is a gardener.  My thumb isn't the slightest shade of green and therefore my yard suffers because of it.  The people who lived in our home before my husband bought it owned a landscaping company.  Therefore there are all sorts of plants in our oversized yard.  They are beautiful, don't get me wrong, but the upkeep of our yard takes a lot of time and energy that I have, but don't care to use on gardening.  So, this weekend we are downsizing a bit.  I am trying to get our yard to a point where it looks nice and maintained and yet is doable for us.   Currently our biggest fight is the weeds! And let me tell you...they are winning!  We bought some products to help us combat those nasty buggers, but for now they are laughing in my face.


***5***

On a positive note with the yard, I have enjoyed watching our cherry blossom tree bloom and was surprised to find both tulips and daffodils pop up!  I do love this time a year when finally all the doom and gloom brown and gray landscapes turn into wonderful colors of the rainbow.  It really makes me smile and puts me in a much better place mentally.  I love finally turning the heat off and opening my windows to let out the winter air and let in that fresh spring breeze.  Winter is always hard, but it sure makes me appreciate spring that much more!

***6***

I want to give a little shout out to my Winterhaven, FL family.  Every time I go and visit my parents, I am always touched by the love of their Florida "family."  So many of them have celebrated with us as we got married, prayed for us over the last few months, and even cried with us when we lost our son.  My mom keeps them in the loop and they are always eager to hear what is going on in her children's lives.  It's nice to have people so far away who care about you and only want the best for you.

***7***

I hate ending on a negative note, but I have a small rant this week.  I am going to try and put a positive spin on this rant, but it's a rant nonetheless.  I appreciate people who are real and honest about who they are, what they stand for, and how they treat others regardless of who they are with or what they think a person wants to hear.  At 34, I hate when junior high drama seeps back into my life and I feel betrayed by people who are nice to my face and zing me in my back.  Be real people! This week I really was reminded about the importance of that.  It was a great reminder for me as well to watch my tongue and to speak kindly of others and not judge their actions.  The choices I make in my life are just that, and the choices others make are their choices.  No one makes a choice that they feel is bad (despite our opinions) and I suppose if it's not hurting me or others than perhaps it's just best to be quiet.  Now, I should disclaim, that I do believe there is a wrong and right, good and evil in this world and we should stand up for those things, but this is more about the little day to day things. 

Well folks, it is now 2:00 in the afternoon and you shouldn't be surprised to know that I am still in my pj's.  I guess it's time to clean up my act and face the day!  Tonight we are dining with some of our favorite pals!  I can't wait to catch up, laugh, and enjoy this beautiful day!!  Hugs to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment