Thursday, February 27, 2014

7 Posts in 7 Days: Day 4 What's in a Name?

I know yesterday I said I was going to write about the 2 things I thought Christians are doing wrong, but then I read my friend's Mary's blog about how she chose her children's names and was linking up with other bloggers to do the same at Team Whitaker.  And so I decided to go for fun and easy today and talk about my boys instead.  It is my favorite topic anyways.

Jackson Edward




Our first child's name Jackson comes from when I first started dating Tom.  Tom's last name (and now mine) is Bauer.  After just a few dates my dad called me.  Now I need to tell you that my dad and I are huge 24 fans.  So that night my dad called and asks, "Is Tom's last name Bauer?  I'm just saying...Jack Bauer?  Think about it.."  Well, even though Tom and I were just dating from that point on I knew if we had a son his name would be Jackson (I didn't like Jack as much as Jackson) So when I got pregnant we knew if we were having a boy my dad was so excited! When we were thinking of middle names we couldn't help to make that name a little tongue and cheek.  So sticking with the Bauer theme Jackson's middle name became Edward, as in Eddie Bauer.  Luckily Edward was my grandfather's name so it worked out! If Jackson was a girl his name would've been Cecilia.

As my readers know, Jackson was born way too early at 23 weeks gestation.  On the saddest day of my life, I was holding him for the first and last time with Tom and my parents by my side.  Very sweetly the doctor asked, "Is Jackson a family name?"  Amidst all the tears the 4 of us looked at each other and started cracking up!  We then had to tell her that his name sake was in fact, Jack Bauer of 24. 

Noah Thomas

Our second child too was a little boy.  Thank goodness because we could not find a girl's name that we loved. Originally I had chosen the name Benjamin.  I always liked the name Ben.  Because Noah was our baby born after a loss he is considered our Rainbow Baby, because a rainbow comes after the storm.  One day a very good friend of mine called me and told me that she had been praying for me and she felt that the Lord really put on her heart that if we had a son his name should be Noah, who's sign was also a rainbow.  Well as soon as she muttered the words I knew that his name would be Noah.  Tom never wanted to name a child Thomas, but after reconciling with his namesake, he decided he would like his son to have his name for his middle name.   So Noah Thomas it was.

We mostly call Noah, Buddy, but I have called him "No-No" or "No-Nos" from the beginning.  Tom says I am going to confuse him when he gets older and I tell him "No" and he'll think I am saying his name.  I think he'll be fine. 

Future children??

I'm not saying we are going to have more children or not.  A pregnancy for us would take a lot of planning, praying, and convincing...but if God chooses to bless us with another child I have already decided if we are having a girl her name will be Norah Elizabeth.  (Elizabeth is my middle name and I just like Norah)  If we have a boy his name will be Jonah.  No middle name has been decided.  I guess I am a dork and like the "ah" endings apparently. 

Anyways...thanks for playing along!  See you tomorrow when I promise I will be blogging on my title "Talk is Cheap!"  See you then! :)

Don't forget to check out other's blogs at 7 posts in 7 days at Conversion Diary.

3 comments:

  1. Can I just tell you (and I hope this is okay saying, you know how I get nervous, because I have never been there, and would never want to cause you a moment's pain...) I never noticed before how adorable your jackson's is. Perfection. and the jack bauer thing was perfect. and still love them overalls ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing how people come up with names. I kind of dread the day I have to tell this little one, "well your sister got her name because daddy always loved it and told me on our second date that he wanted to name his future daughter Kayla. And your name....came from the movie The Corpse Bride".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful boys ! and beautiful names too.

    ReplyDelete