Friday, February 7, 2014

7 Quick Takes: Olympics' version

***1***

In just a few minutes the winter Olympics' opening ceremonies will be begin!  I love the Olympics! Kind of interesting since I am really not very athletic by nature, but there is something about the Olympics that I just love.  Maybe it's the pomp and circumstance, watching the underdog come to victory, watching the figure skaters fall (sorry, my dad and I always laugh together...not nice, I know) But whatever it is...I just love it!  I can't wait to see it all unfold.  The next 2 weeks I will watch more TV than usual.  I can't wait!!!  


***2***

Speaking of Olympics...today I did something I haven't done in a long, long time.  I walked over a mile!  After a crazy pregnancy that kept me on the couch or in a hospital bed for over 6 months and then the winter from hell my activity level hasn't existed.  I snuck a walk in with my parents' dog while visiting them and my goodness...it felt SO GOOD! I cannot wait for the weather to break and for Noah and I to hit the streets.  I am looking forward to trips to walk through Greenfield Village and around our neighborhood.  I am really looking forward to becoming active again and shedding a few pounds.  I suppose it's my Olympic sport...mama gets healthy!

***3***

We noticed Noah's weight gain had slowed down at his last doctor's appointment.  We had to make the decision to start giving Noah some formula each day to bulk up his calories and keep our little boy growing.  It was a hard decision for us, but a necessary decision because he can't take more volume right now for some reason, but he needs more calories than my breast milk can give him right now.  It has been both a good and bad thing.  The good thing is that Noah is sleeping a bit better because he's not as hungry.  The bad news is that our little guy has a bit of trouble with his diapers because of the formula being a little more difficult to digest.  I have never been that person who felt that formula is evil, but I wanted to give Noah breast milk for as long possible.  This was a good lesson for me in being flexible and being open to what is best for Noah.  We all strive to be the best mom we can be, but sometimes you just feel like maybe you are failing your child.  

***4***

I noticed this week that 80% of the pictures I take of Noah are when he is sleeping.  I think there is nothing sweeter than a sleeping baby.  I especially think there is nothing sweeter than a sleeping baby that sleeps during the night.  (One day...right??)

***5***

How about those Facebook videos released this week? I really enjoyed watching the minute long reflections of each of my friend's journey as revealed by Facebook.  I cried through mine and teared up through several of my friends.  I think it was touching to see some of my friend's journeys over the last 5 or so years...especially those friends who I knew carried heavy crosses, awesome success, or anything in between.  Looking at all the children grow up over the years and some of us even grew a little older.  Anyways, say what you like about social media and Facebook, but I loved these videos.  I love watching all of your stories as told by your posts.

***6***

Back to the Olympics...I am appalled by the revelation that something like 85% of Russians consider themselves homophobic and there is such strong anti-gay legislation in this country.  It doesn't matter if you feel the gay lifestyle is right or wrong, what sticks out to me is that a country in which many are encouraged to be atheists there is so much hatred going around for one group of people.  Again, it doesn't matter if you agree with some one's lifestyle or not, if you are a person of faith (christian or otherwise) most faiths encourage us to love a person for who they are.  No group of people should be treated with such hatred and dislike.  

***7***

Last thought about the Olympics....what is up with those outfits the Americans are sporting????  Sorry Ralph Lauren....U G L Y!!

GO Team USA!!!!  Take home gold and be safe!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment