Monday, March 17, 2014

A Pile of Books

In our Living Room, in my little corner of the couch sits a stack of books.  I've always been a reader, but my reading tends to ebb and flow.  Lately, I have been reading a lot of very fantastic books so I thought I would share them with you.  I should tell you many of the books I am reading are Christian based, but none of them are overly preachy or unattractive (in my opinion) to a non-believer.  Anyways, enjoy! And Try one or two....

P.S. I am not being paid or asked to endorse any of these books.  Just sharing out of the goodness of my heart.

1.  "Love & Respect" by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs

If you are married and have not read this book, you should.  Both my husband and I are reading this book as it correlates with a seminar we are taking at church right now.  It has opened our blue and pink eyes to how the other thinks, speaks, and reacts.  If you are engaged or have been married 50 years, I think you will find this book helpful and encouraging.  I think it's going to bless our marriage for many years to come.

 
2. "What To Expect: The First Year" by Heidi Murkoff
 
There's not much to say about this one other than as any other first time mother I am doing my duty and working through this classic.  It's not the greatest book I've ever read, but it's nice to flip through from time to time.
 
 
3. "A Confident Heart: How to Stop Doubting Yourself & Live in the Security of God's Promises" by Renee Swope
 
I've gotta say, other than the book "The Thrill of the Chaste" by Dawn Eden that I read a few years back, no book has hit the nail on the head for me like this one.  It's exactly what I needed to read in my life right now.  As a new wife and a new mother, staying at home after an 11 year career, A LOT has changed for me in the past 2 years.  So many doubts have crept into my head with my new lifestyle.  This book has been an answer to prayer.  It also has a coordinating daily devotional that I love.  I think this is a great book for any woman who struggles with doubt and self worth!  Highly recommend!
 
 
4. "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Marc Weissbluth, M.D.
 
I was given this book by a dear friend after Noah was born.  So far it's the best book I've read that compliments our style of parenting with regards to sleep training.  I also have heard from many other mothers that it has been a blessing to them and sleep training.  I think it's very practical and has a step-by-step program to follow.  I have yet to implement it fully, but have picked up a lot of little nuggets of tips already. 
 
 
5. "The Sinner's Guide to Natural Family Planning" by Simcha Fisher
 
It's no secret that Tom and I are devout, pro-life Catholics and therefore we don't use any form of artificial birth control in our marriage.  That being said, Natural Family Planning has it's own sets of challenges and gray areas.  So when I went to a friend with some questions and some frustrations she turned me to Simcha Fisher.  (Isn't that the craziest name?)  Well, this little book is a gem! First of all, it's hilarious.  And so, so helpful. I love the opening of this book.  Go ahead and read it and then understand why I love Simcha's writing style:
 
 
Anyways, I can't say enough for this book. Again, another gem that has been an answer to pray for me at this stage of my life. If you are using NFP OR if you want to learn more about how to use NFP in your marriage then this is a great choice.
 
 
6. "Cross" by James Patterson
 
OK, so technically I haven't read this one yet, BUT I have read many of James Patterson's book and I love a good successful thriller.  I am hoping to dig into this one soon.  There's nothing I love more than getting lost in a good story line.  Unfortunately, a little cutie in my life doesn't leave me much time to read more than a few minutes at a time. 
 
 
7. "Embracing Your Strengths:Who Am I in God's Eyes & What Am I Supposed to Do About It?" by the Women of Faith
 
Ok, the last book gracing my coffee table is actually a book we are using in my Women's Fellowship group.  I included it, however, because I think it's an awesome book for a small group such as ours or even something to work through on your own.  I love books that encourage me in my feminine strengths through the eyes of Christ.
 
 
So there you have it folks! Those are the books taking up space on my coffee table these days! Maybe it's because we got rid of cable, or maybe it's another time in my life where reading has taken a part of each of my days, but regardless I thought I would share with you what I am spending my few minutes of spare time each day! Enjoy reading!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment