Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Liebster Award!


Wow, I have been nominated!  I am not sure if it's a prestigious award, but it's fun nonetheless and a great excuse to waste some time talking about myself.  I mean who doesn't like to talk about themselves?  Mary, who writes an excellent blog that I enjoy reading immensely sent this to me.  So I decided, What the heck?  So here goes nothing...more information about me that you probably never wanted to know.  ;)

11 Fun Facts about me

1. I was born in Michigan and I have lived in Michigan my entire life.  I am totally OK with that.  I didn't go away to school and after 15 years I am back in my home town.  I am OK with that too.  I am a homebody.  I like to travel, but I love to come back home.  I think Michigan will probably always be my home and it will definitely always have my heart.

2.  I have broken my arm 3 times.  In fact, I broke my right arm twice in the same spot so if I ever break it again they will have to put a metal rod in there to help support it.  I broke my arm once falling off a bunk bed, next I broke my arm trying to ride a ten speed after my mom told me not to, and finally I broke my arm roller skating at the Rollerdome.  (Oh the memories!)  Yes, I am a klutz.  Somehow though I have managed to escape stitches in my lifetime....so far.

3.  After being a teacher for 10.5 year I quit last summer.  I always told myself that once I didn't love teaching anymore I would quit and so I did.  Everyone asks me if I miss it and always expects me to say no.  But truth be told...I don't miss it.  At all.  Well, I miss the kids from time to time and the community aspect, but I don't miss the rest.  Not one bit.  I love being a stay at home wife and one day mom.  It really works well for my husband and I.  I am blessed and I know it!

4.  I have traveled to Europe 3 times in my life so far.  When I was in high school I went to Paris for 3 weeks!  It was an adventure and I was definitely homesick at times.  It was, however, a wonderful trip and when my love for Europe began!  My senior year of college my best friend and I went to Ireland for a week.  We loved it!  We stayed in Dublin and took day trips.  I would do that differently next time.  The bed and breakfast tour is more my style.  Dublin got old...quick.  And finally, 2 years ago I was able to go to Assisi, Rome, and Madrid over 2.5 weeks!  It was so awesome to see Rome finally and the headquarters of the Catholic church.  I got to see the Pope several times on this trip which was great!

5.  My husband and I didn't meet until we were in our mid thirties (he is 3.5 years older than I) BUT our paths have been crossing for years.  We grew up in the same city, worked in the same area, went to the same college, he attended the church I taught at, and so on....it's like it was meant to be...we just kept missing each other!

6.  I love to read!  Being a stay at home wife I have been able to pick it up once again and I am so thankful for that!  My favorite stories to read are christian suspense novels.  My favorite authors are Dee Henderson, Terri Blackstock, and Francine Rivers.  In fact, if you haven't read "Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers, you really must.  It is FANTASTIC!!

7.  I converted to the Catholic faith in 2004.  It took awhile for God to get my attention, ( I will have to blog my conversion story one of these days...) but I have never felt so at home as I do in the Catholic Church.  Our church is so rich and full of beautiful Traditions.

8. If given a choice between vanilla or chocolate I usually choose vanilla.  Caramel or chocolate sauce...caramel. I have never been a big chocolate eater, but do like a good dark chocolate piece every now and then!  Most of my friends think I am weird....

9.  I love musicals!! I have ever since I was little!  Sound of Music and Annie will always be special to me.  They are what grabbed my attention and led me to the theater!  I have acted in many since then and hope that one day I will return.

10.  I prefer cats over dogs.  Dogs are a lot more work than cats.  I like low maintenance.

11.  I hate doing the dishes.  I would rather clean a toilet than wash the dishes.  Finally in marriage I have gotten a dishwasher...that helps, but I still hate them.\


Answer to 11 questions from Mary....




1. Happiest memory?

I have so many happy memories, but I would have to say the first memory that popped into my head was the night my now husband asked me on our first date. I had just left the Easter Vigil Mass after waiting around forever to say hi to Tom.  I finally left and when I got halfway down the street my phone suddenly rang.  Tom said, "I wanted to wish you a Happy Easter, where'd you go?"  My heart leapt!  We met for pie a few moments later and the rest is history....


2. Most difficult life experience that you are now on the other side of?

The most difficult life experience I have ever experienced is of course losing my son.  I guess you could say I am on the other side of it now, but in reality I don't know that I will ever be on the other side of it.  A piece of my heart will always be missing.  I do, however, have some peace these days and talk of trying to get pregnant again has even started.  I have learned so much about myself and my husband through this all. 

3. Why did you start blogging?

I started blogging because I was talking to my good friends Rakhi and Tim saying that my life's dream really is to be a speaker at a conference.  I love talking to groups of people, telling my story, and encouraging others.  I really, really wanted to get involved speaking, but didn't know how to get into to it.  They encouraged me to start blogging as a way of getting out there! I did and here I am a few years later.  I love blogging and hearing people's feedback and giving a piece of myself to my readers.


4. What is your favorite blog?

To be honest, I like reading the blogs of my friends who share my thoughts and are real.  Mary, Rakhi, Patty...I don't really follow tons of blogs, but I did once love watching this blog that for a whole year she made a new dress or outfit out of something she found at a thrift store! I was super impressed.  I also loved the movie "Julie and Julia" and would love to follow blogs like that!

5. Who is a person that you KNOW (in real life) that you currently admire most?

I would have to say that the person I currently admire the most in my life is a woman I met at my support group for losing a child.  This mom of 2, with one on the way, had had 12 pregnancies total.  I was amazed by her strength and faith in God, which was evident by the smile on her face and loving support she gave the group.  The pain of losing one child has been devastating for Tom and I, I just don't know if I would have the courage and perseverance that she has.  She was a true testament of faith in God and perseverance in faith.


6. What is your favorite EASY dish to make?

My favorite easy dish to make is kielbasa with sauerkraut.  I take a can of sauerkraut (rinsed), add a drained can of sliced or diced potatoes, cut up one apple, and cut up one ring of kielbasa.  I mix all of it together in a big pot and cook it through until the apples are soft and the kielbasa is warm.  My Polish husband loves it too!


7. Favorite song (you have to choose just one)?

Oh gosh..this is hard because I LOVE music! I would have to say though my top favorite song is probably "Somewhere Over the Rainbow."  I love to sing that song.  It always makes me happy and hopeful.  There are a lot of close seconds though....

8. Best place you have ever visited?

This is a hard one too.  I have been to a lot of wonderful places.  I have been to a lot of beautiful places.  One of the best places I have been to though is actually in the great state of Michigan.  Tom and I went to Traverse City for our honeymoon and one day we explored the Leelenau Peninsula.  It was breath taking!  We enjoyed driving and seeing the sites.  We loved the beautiful scenery and the great little towns along the way.  Assisi, Italy is definitely a close second for all the same reasons.
9. 1 of your life goals

One of my life goals right now is to get out of debt.  We don't have a lot of credit card debt, but we have some.  I would like to really work at paying that off in the next year or two.  There is such a freedom to being financially free and it is important to both Tom and I.

10. What is your favorite thing to do with children?

One of my favorite things to do with my nieces and nephews is to take them to Greenfield Village and The Henry Ford museum.  It is such a great treasure we have in this area and I love to go walk around with them and watch them learn and take it all in.  We have a seasonal pass just for this reason alone!

11. When have you felt closest to God? How did that come about?

I feel closest to God when I am praising Him during a rocking good praise and worship session.  There is something about praising God with music, lifting my hands, closing my eyes that just brings me to the very presence of Christ. Someone wise once said, "Singing is praying twice.'  That rings so true with me.   When I am singing a good song I feel the Lord.

1 comment:

  1. See, this was AWESOME! i love love love facts about people! Thank you for sharing. AND, as an added super awesome bonus, I learned some really awesome things about you :) Who knew that you were a convert? So is my husband, super cool!

    ReplyDelete